Karate Kawartha Lakes
Member's Conduct Expectations
- Karate-ka will behave in a manner that respects & honours themselves and our society both in & out of the Dojo.
- No karate student will provoke violence outside the Dojo, not allow him/herself to be provoked in violence.
- NO alcohol or drugs will be taken before class.
- Always bow when entering or exiting the dojo.
- All Black Belts will be addressed as “Sensei”. Bowing to instructors when making requests in mandatory.
- Be serious in your efforts & attitude.
- Listen attentively to all instructions so you receive a full understanding of the techniques or concepts being explained. Stop all activity & talking when the instructing Sensei speaks to you alone or to the class at large. Loud talking, vulgarity, profanity & rudeness are never permitted.
- Bow before & after training with a person. Respect all other members of the dojo, whether they are above or below you in rank. When engaged in kumite drills, remember that you are using each other in a cooperative effort to advance your understanding of karate; you are not trying to defeat, harm or embarrass the other person. The experiences and efforts of each karate-ka are worthy of your respect, even if at first you cannot recognize this fact. Converse only when directed to do so.
- Respect the sensei’s requests & instructions in all matters pertaining to karate. If you have a question or concern, bring it to the attention of a Sensei or Sempai, in a quiet manner, when the class is not training.
- Higher belts may be asked to aid lower belts in their training, but will not teach a technique or kata without the Sensei’s permission. When receiving correction from a senior rank, stop and listen. Only criticism of a constructive & respectful nature will be offered.
- All uniforms will be completely white. The Wado Kai kanji (characters) may be placed on the left side of the gi top only. Any visible accessories (t-shirts, headbands etc.) must be white only. Remove all jewelry (rings, watches, earrings etc.) while training to reduce the risk of injury.
- Use of protective equipment is strongly recommended during the practice of any form of kumite (sparring).
- A high standard of personal cleanliness is absolute. Finger & toe nails must be clean and clipped short. Uniforms must always be clean & presentable.
- Do not eat, drink, chew gum, or smoke on the dojo floor. Rough-housing is not permitted.
- Under no circumstances will any form of karate be taught by any member to any non-member.
- Jiyu-kumite (free sparring) is not allowed without the express permission of the Dojo Sensei.
- Fee – Financial obligations to the Dojo are the sole responsibility of the individual student.
Karate Kawartha Lakes
Health and Safety Policy
Injury and Incident Policy
Incident Report Form